Sajad Shiravi, PhD Candidate
Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
Faculty of Engineering
University of Waterloo
Phone: (519)888-4567, ext.
Sajad is PhD student at the University of Waterloo. He received his master’s degree at the University of New Brunswick and completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Tehran, Iran. In his master’s study he successfully designed and implemented a building/floorspace information extraction tool from remote sensing data using machine learning and data mining techniques in the ArcGIS platform in order to improve the data input for land-use transportation models. In his PhD study he is studying the use of Big Data for traffic management and control purposes. He has also had the opportunity to work with world-class engineers in the Iranian national oil company. He is hardworking, self-motivated and is always excited to learn new things.
- Big Data for traffic control/management
- GIS in transportation (GIS-T)
- Public Transport
- Transportation Planning
- Beykaei, S., Zhong, M., & Shiravi, S. (2014). A hierarchical rule-based land use extraction system using geographic and remotely sensed data a case study for residential uses. Transportation Research Part C, 14
- Beykaei, S. A., Zhong, M., Shiravi S., and Zhang, Y. (2013). Development of an Automatic Land Use Extraction System in Urban Areas using VHR Aerial Imagery and GIS Vector Data. International Journal of Transportation Engineering (IJTE), Vol 1, No 2, pp 69-79
- Shiravi, S., Zhong, M., Beykaei, A., Hunt, J.D. and Abraham, J.A. (2014) Assess the Utility of LiDAR Data in Extracting Base-Year Floorspace and a Comparison with Census-Based Approach, Paper Accepted for publishing on Environment and Planning: Part B (Acceptance date: April 22, 2014, Resubmitted after the Revision: Jan.18th, 2014; Submission date: April 8th, 2013) (Impact factor: 1.35)
- Shiravi, S., Zhong, M., & Hosseini, F. (2014). Using LiDAR Data for Measuring Transit Stop Coverage. ICTTS (p. 10). Shaoxing, China: Elsevier.
- Shiravi, S., Beykaei, S.A, Zhong, M., (2012). Accuracy assessment of building extraction using LiDAR data for urban planning/transportation applications. TAC. Fredericton: TAC
Workshops and Seminars