Lalita Thakali, PhD
Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
Faculty of Engineering
University of Waterloo
Phone: (519)888-4567, ext. 31170
Lalita has a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from Tribhuvan University in Nepal, Master’s degree in Transportation Engineering from Asian Institute of Technology in Thailand, and recently, a Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Waterloo in Canada. Her doctoral research focused on the application of various modeling approaches, including traditional and machine learning approaches, and GIS platform for solving transportation problems. In her recent work, she has contributed to a number of projects from Transport Canada and Ministry of Transportation Ontario. She also has working experience in road geometry design, road construction supervision and transportation planning.
- Road safety analysis
- Transportation mobility analysis
- Transportation demand management
- Transit & urban transport modeling
- Best Student Paper Award, organized by CARSP conference in Halifax (2016)
- University of Waterloo Departmental Graduate Scholarship (2012- 2016)
- Graduate Research Studentship, UW (2011-2016)
- Provost Doctoral Entrance Award for Women, UW (2011)
- Nepal Bidda-Bhusan Award (2009)
- The Barbara and John Hugh Jones Award, AIT (2008)
- The Hiromichi Seya Award, AIT (2008)
- First Runner-up Award in thesis competition (2008)
- Royal Thai King Scholarship, AIT (2006-2008)
- Nepal Government Scholarship, Tribhuvan University, Nepal (2000-2004)
- Gandaki Boarding School Scholarship, Nepal (1992-2000)
- Fu, L., Thakali, L., Kwon, T.J., & Usman, T. (2016). Winter Road Condition Classification and Reporting – A Risk Based Approach. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineers.
- Pan, G., Fu, L., Thakali, L. (2017). Development of a global road safety performance function using deep neural networks. International Journal of Transportation Science & Technology, 6(3):159-173.
- Thakali, L., Fu, L., & Chen, T. (2016). Model Based versus Data-driven Approach for Road Safety Analysis : Does More Data Help? Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2601.
- Thakali, L., Kwon, T. J., & Fu, L. (2015). Identification of Crash Hotspots using Kernel Density Estimation and Kriging Methods – A Comparison. Journal of Modern Transportation. DOI: 10.1007/s40534-015-0068-0
Conference Papers & Presentations
- Heydari, S., Fu, L., Thakali, L., & Joseph, L. (2017, August). Identifying areas of high risk for collisions: A Canda-wide study of grade crossing safety. In Transportation Information and Safety (ICTIS), 2017 4th International Conference on (pp. 640-644)
- Thakali, L., Fu, L., & Chen, T. (2016). Comparing Crash Prediction Techniques for Ranking of Sites in a Network Screening Process. Proceedings of the 26th Canadian Association of Road Safety Professionals (CARSP) Conference, Halifax, NS, June 5-8, 2016.
- Pan, G., Fu, L., Thakali, L., Muresan, M. (2018).An Improved Deep Belief Network Model for Road Safety Analyses. Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board conference, Jan 2018, US (accepted)
- Fu, L., Thakali, L., Linkton, M., Kwon, T. J., Usman, T. (2015) Cost-benefit analysis of winter road maintenance standards – a case study. Proceedings of the 2015 CSCE Annual Conference, May 27-30, 2015. Regina, SK.
- Perchanok, M., McClinktock, H., Fu, L., Thakali, L., & Huid, H. T. (2014). A Benefit-Cost Approach to Level of Service Standards for Winter Road Maintenance. Proceedings of the 14th International Winter Road Congress – World Road Association. Andorra la Vella, Feb 4-7.
- Fu, L., Thakali, L., Kwon, T.J., & Usman, T. (2014). Winter Road Condition Classification and Reporting – A Risk Based Approach. Conference Proceedings of 14th International Winter Road Congress – World Road Association. Andorra la Vella, 4-7 Feb 2014
- Thakali, L., Fu, L., & Chen, T. (2014). A Comparison between Parametric and Nonparametric Approaches for Road Safety Analysis – A Case Study of Winter Road Safety. Proceedings of the 93rd Annual TRB conference, Washington D.C., Jan 12-16.
- Thakali, L., Fu, L., Chen, T., & Usman, T. (2013). A Non-parametric Approach to Road Safety Analysis – Does It Make a Difference?. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Transportation Information and Safety (ICTIS), China, June 28th- July 1st.
- Thakali, L., Cao, L., Fu, L., & Donaher, G. (2013). Feasibility of Using Speed as a Winter Road Maintenance Performance Measure for Rural Highways. Proceeding of the Annual Conference and General Meeting of the CSCE, June 6-9.
- Cao, L., Thakali, L., Fu, L., & Donaher, G. (2013). Effect of Weather and Road Surface Conditions on Traffic Speed of Rural Highways. Proceedings of the 92nd Annual TRB Conference, Washington D.C., Jan 13-17.
- Thakali, L., Kanitpoing, K., & Hossain, M. (2009). Development of Accident Prediction Models, their possibilities and efficacy for the developing countries, a Thai experience. Proceedings of the 8th Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies (EASTS), Indonesia, Nov 16-19.
- Khatiwada, N., & Thakali, L., (2009). Prospects of Railway Development in Nepal. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Railway Development in Nepal, May 03. Organized by National Planning Commission, Ministry of Physical Planning & Works and Nepal Development Research Institute, Nepal.
- Fu, L., Heydari, S. & Thakali, L. (2016). Improvement and Development of Collision Risk and Treatment Effectiveness Models for GradeX. Final Report submitted to Transportation Association of Canada.
- Fu, L., Thakali, L., Usman, T., and Kwon, T. J. (2014). Application of WRM Performance Models for Evaluating the Implications of Varying Service Standards. Final Report submitted to Ontario Ministry of Transportation.